Since its 2016 debut on Netflix, The Crown has become a massive success. Becoming the first drama to win all seven major drama categories at the 2021 Emmys. It has now returned for its fifth and penultimate season and the crown season 5 cast is amazing to get updates on.
The Crown Season 5 will focus on the 1990s, probably one of the most challenging decades for the royal family. They experienced a devastating fire at Windsor Castle, the public disintegration of Charles and Diana’s marriage, and the events leading up to Diana’s tragic death in a car accident in Paris.
The fifth season of The Crown has a big ensemble cast:
- Imelda Staunton (Vera Drake, Harry Potter) – Performs the role of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Princess Margaret is portrayed by Lesley Manville (Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, Mum)
- Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes, Tomorrow Never Dies) portrays the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip.
- Elizabeth Debecki (Tenet, Widows) – Performs the role of Princess Diana
- The Wire’s Dominic West portrays Prince Charles.
- Olivia Williams (The Sixth Sense, Rushmore) – who portrays Camilla Parker Bowles – is Olivia Williams (The Sixth Sense, Rushmore).
- Jonny Lee Miller (Trainspotting) – Assumes the Role of John Major
- Doctor Foster’s Bertie Carvel portrays Tony Blair.
- Cherie Blair is portrayed by Lydia Leonard (10 %, Flesh & Blood).
- Boris Yeltsin is portrayed by Anatoly Kotenev (As Far as My Feet Can Carry Me).
- Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother is portrayed by Marcia Warren (Jam & Jerusalem).
- Timothee Sambor and Senan West will portray the youthful Prince William.
- Claudia Harrison (The IT Crowd) portrays Princess Anne, the only daughter of the Queen.
- James Murray (McDonald & Dodds) – Performs the Role of Prince Andrew
- Emma Laird Craig – Sarah Ferguson, the wife of Prince Andrew
- Sam Woolf – Plays Prince Edward, the youngest child of the Queen.
- Humayun Saeed – Portrayed the love interest of Princess Diana Professor Hasnat Khan
- Khalid Abdalla (Moon Knight) portrays Dodi Fayed, Princess Diana’s partner.
- Salim Dau (Oslo) – Mohammed Al-Fayed, Dodi’s father
- Andrew Havill (Downton Abbey) will portray Robert Fellowes, the Queen’s private secretary.
- Natascha McElhone (Designated Survivor, The Trueman Show) portrays Penny Knatchbull, currently the Countess Mountbatten of Burma, a close friend of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth.
- Oliver James (Motherland, Trying) portrays Princess Diana’s friend James Colthurst, who worked as a liaison between Diana and Andrew Morton, the author of her biography.
- Timothy Dalton, who played James Bond, portrays Peter Townsend, the man Princess Margaret once intended to marry.
- Ben Warwick (Emmedale) portrays Jonathan Dimbleby, a BBC broadcaster.
- Andrew Steele (Free Rein, Outlander) portrays Andrew Morton, a royal biographer.
- Prasanna Puwanarajah (10 Percent, Doctor Foster) – Plays Martin Bashir
- Michael Jibson (Quiz, The Essex Serpent) portrays Steve Hewlett, the editor of Panorama.
- Nicholas Gleaves (The Rising, Coronation Street) portrays John Birt, the director general of the BBC.
- Richard Cordery (About Time, Judy, Marcella) as Duke Hussey, the BBC board chairman.
- (Goodnight Sweetheart, Coronation Street) – Victor McGuire Performs the role of the “amateur radio operator” who obtains the personal audio recordings of Prince Charles and Camilla speaking.
Lets See the crown season 5 Cast:
Imelda Staunton as Queen Elizabeth II:
In season 5 of The Crown, the Queen will endure her worst criticism, including the many scandals of 1992, which she memorably referred to as her “annus horribilis.” Imelda Staunton will play the Queen in the fifth and sixth seasons, succeeding Claire Foy and Olivia Colman.
Staunton is most known for her portrayal of Harry Potter antagonist Dolores Umbridge, as well as her Oscar-nominated lead role in Vera Drake and her BAFTA-nominated turns in Return to Cranford and The Girl. During Matt Smith’s tenure on Doctor Who, she provided the voice of Interface in the 2011 episode “The Girl Who Waited.”
Jonathan Pryce as Prince Philip:
Tobias Menzies will be replaced by Jonathan Pryce in the role of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Matt Smith played the position throughout the first two seasons.
Pryce cited his “good” experience working with Netflix on The Two Popes as one of the reasons he agreed to play the real-life role. He stated, “I am thrilled to be working with Netflix once more.
“The excellent experience I gained while filming The Two Popes has equipped me with the confidence to take on the huge challenge of portraying Prince Philip. To do so in the company of Peter Morgan, Imelda, and Lesley will be a pleasure.”
In the Netflix film, the Welsh actor received his first Oscar nomination for his depiction of Pope Francis.
In addition to The Wife, Evita, Tomorrow Never Dies, and Pirates of the Caribbean, he has appeared in Game of Thrones and Taboo, among others.
Jonny Lee Miller as John Major:
One of the most controversial plotline in season five of The Crown involves a fictional meeting between Prince (now King) Charles and then-Prime Minister John Major, in which they plot the abdication of the Queen. This has already been described by the individual as “a bucket of crap.”
Jonny Lee Miller is presently best known for his portrayal of a modern-day Sherlock Holmes in Elementary and for his Olivier Award-winning performance as the title character in Frankenstein on the West End stage, although he first catapulted to prominence as Sick Boy in the 1996 film Trainspotting.
Elizabeth Debicki as Princess Diana:
From the fifth season on, Elizabeth Debicki will play Princess Diana. In season 4, the character was named Lady Diana Spencer, and Emma Corrin played her.
Debicki said that getting to play Diana, Princess of Wales on screen was a “privilege.” She said, “Princess Diana’s spirit, her words, and the things she did live on in so many hearts.
“It is a true honour and privilege to be a part of this masterful series, which has had me hooked from the first episode.”
The Australian actress is known for her roles in movies and TV shows like The Great Gatsby, Everest, Widows, and The Night Manager.
Dominic West as Prince Charles:
Prince Charles has had a very dramatic year, with the end of his marriage, the “tampongate” phone call with Camilla, and a secret plan to become king.
This controversial role by Josh O’Connor is played by Dominic West. West is known for his roles in The Wire, The Pursuit of Love, and Appropriate Adult, where he played serial killer Fred West. Most recently, he was in SAS: Rogue Heroes.
Timothee Sambor / Senan West as Prince William:
Senan West, Dominic West’s 14-year-old son, will portray Prince Charles’s eldest son on The Crown. Senan is the son of Dominic West, who portrays Prince Charles on The Crown.
Senan’s audition film got the attention of the show’s producers, and Variety reported in November 2021 that the young prince will feature in the last episodes of season 5.
Teddy Hawley performs the role of Prince Harry.
Look at the crown season 5 cast: Other Performers
Senan West, a newbie and son of Dominic West, will play his on-screen son, Prince William. Marcia Warren (Vicious) succeeds Marion Bailey as the Queen Mother, while Sam Woolf (Call the Midwife) has one of his first significant roles as Prince Edward. Natascha McElhone (Designated Survivor) will depict Penelope Knatchbull, Andrew Steele (Outlander) will play journalist Andrew Morton, and Humayun Saeed (a renowned Pakistani television and cinema star) will play heart surgeon Hasnat Khan.
Intriguingly, this is not Prasanna Puwanarajah’s first time portraying BBC journalist Martin Bashir. He portrayed him in the 2013 film Diana. Salim Daw (Oslo) will portray Egyptian industrialist Mohamed al-Fayed. While Khalid Abdalla (The Kite Runner) will portray his son Dodi Fayed.
The fifth season of The Crown premieres on Netflix on November 9th.